Although the New Life has emerged from me, I am not at all bound by it. Plans I, II and III of the New Life with their four phases of labour, begging, gypsy and langoti life, will function as long as I am physically alive. But this New Life is endless, and even after my physical death will be kept alive by those, who live the life of complete renunciation of falsehood, lies, hatred, anger, greed and lust; and who, to accomplish all this, do no lustful actions, do no harm to any one, do no backbiting, do not seek material possessions, or power, who accept no homage, neither covet honour nor shun disgrace, and fear no one and nothing; by those who rely wholly and solely on God, and who love God purely for the sake of loving, who believe in the lovers of God and in the reality of Manifestation, and yet do not expect any spiritual or material reward, who do not let go the hand of Truth, and who, without being upset by calamities, bravely and wholeheartedly face all hardships with 100% cheerfulness, and give no importance to caste, creed and religious ceremonies.
This New Life will live by itself eternally, even if there is no one to live it.
Conditions, from New Life Circular #5, pp. 2-4.
Fixed Conditions for those who accept plan I-A, B, C and plan II.
(1) First and foremost, you must take it as an absolute and unqualified certainty that you will not receive even the slightest spiritual or material benefit, or indeed, any benefit whatsoever. On the contrary, you must be prepared for every kind of disappointment and adversity.
(2) You should not expect that Baba will have his ‘Nazar’ on you or that he will perform miracles or use his spiritual ‘key’ to protect or save you from illness, danger, imprisonment, death, or difficulties and disasters of any kind.
(3) You will not touch women except, when necessary, your mother, wife, sister and daughter; or professionally when you are doing a doctor’s profession.
(4) You will not enter politics.
(5) You will not express anger, by word or deed to anyone, whatever the provocation, and you will not criticize anyone unfairly, either to his face or behind his back. Although you may at times feel anger in your mind, you must never express it by word or deed.
(6) You will tell no lies under any circumstances.
(7) Neither Baba nor you will accept homage from anyone, nor will you deliberately create circumstances that might invite homage to Baba or to you. If, however, without your having invited it, homage is given to Baba or to you, it must be repaid action for action to the giver.
(8) It must be clearly understood that although the conditions are binding on you all, Baba himself is not bound by any order or condition, and is absolutely free for all time,
(9) The one and only thing, however, in which Baba not only is not free, but deliberately binds himself, is regarding the condition that you will not receive the slightest benefit of any kind whatsoever, and that you must be prepared for every kind of disappointment and adversity. It must, in addition, be absolutely clear that Baba will also never give any order that will absolve any of you of your individual responsibility before God for any consequences that may follow. You must take it as an absolute certainty that the responsibility before God for each and every consequence rests for all time wholly and solely with you and you alone, and that Baba will never give an order that will change or nullify this responsibility.
(10) You will not commit any lustful action with anyone, male or female, young or old. —Meher Baba
Conditions for the New Life Companions in plan III
My New Life companions in plan III will have to abide by the followng:
(1) In this new life of complete renunciation you will be utterly at the mercy of all kinds of good or bad treatment that may be meted out to you by others. Whatever happens, you, and you alone, will be held responsible before God.
(2) If your dependents or your business or private affairs of old life suffer in any way, you and you alone will be held responsible before God. In considering this responsibility you must take it for granted that you will have no opportunity of keeping in touch with your dependents and others by visits, letters, telegrams etc.
(3) If due to physical or mental exhaustion, exposure to extremes of weather, lack of food, bad food, lack of water, bad water, infection of any kind, etc. etc., you fall ill or die, you and you alone will he held responsible before God.
(4) If you should disobey me, and I should send you away from me, you will NOT hold me responsible before God for your future, whatever that future may bring. If, also, without any fault on your part, I should send you away from me, you will not hold me responsible before God for this. In this latter case, however, your spiritual connection with me remains, and I will give you definite instructions which you will have to obey. I may even send you in the New Life plan I B or C or plan II without giving any capital that is required for these plans, and you should carry it out with whole-hearted honesty.
(5) If as a result of your having been sent away by me you should take any misguided step such as becoming addicted to alcohol or drugs, or if you should commit any desperate act such as suicide, or do anything that may lead sooner or later to your death, you and you alone will he held responsible before God.
(6) You must take it as an absolute and unqualified certainty that you will not receive even the slightest spiritual or material benefit, or indeed any benefit whatsoever. On the contrary, you must be prepared for every kind of disappointment and adversity.
(7) I might go from place to place on foot, or stay indefinitely at any place; wherever I go or wherever I stay, you should be with me unless otherwise ordered.
(8) In this New Life, you should not expect me to humour you or make any concessions to your weaknesses. On the contrary, you are expected to humour me.
(9) You should NOT expect that I will have my ‘Nazar’ upon you or that I will perform miracles or use my spiritual ‘key’ to protect or save you from illness, danger, imprisonment, death, or from difficulties and disasters of any kind. Indeed, I may become so utterly defenceless that I may be unable to help even myself.
(10) You may believe me to be ‘Avatar,’ ‘God,’ Devil, or anything or any one you please, but you must understand that although I may live among you as if I were your brother or friend, I will in fact be your Master, whom you must obey absolutely.
(11) I may give you any order at any time, which you must obey. Such orders, however, will not be of ‘spiritual kind’ (eg. meditation, etc.), and you must not expect so-called spiritual instructions from me. You will have to obey any order I give you and you must understand that I might order you to do anything – good or bad. I might order you to do anything to my own person, such as to spit upon me, kick me, abuse me etc., and you will have to obey such orders without hesitation. I might also place my head on your feet or might wash your feet, and you must not object or hesitate or show any emotion should I do things of this kind. Should you show the slightest objection, hesitation or emotion, in any of these contingencies, I might send you away from me.
(12) You will have to obey instantly and implicitly any order whether ordinary or extraordinary given by me.
(13) Any instructions given by me should be immediately carried out if genuinely honestly and sincerely thought to be my serious order, giving greater importance to the work entrusted than to the time given, and you can draw my attention if the entrusted work is liable to delay.
(14) You can also draw my attention when absolutely necessary in the interest of Plan III.
(15) If more than one order is given by me at one and the same time, the order that you think to be more important should be carried out first.
(16) You should NOT under any circumstances argue with me, but can explain the situation when asked by me.
(17) You should NOT suggest anything unless I tell you to do so.
(18) You must always try to keep cheerful.
(19) You will NOT touch women and you will not commit any lustful action with anyone, male or female, young or old; but you can talk to women when necessary.
(20) You will not touch money, and you will not accept money from anyone, nor give it to anyone—even to me. But when I give money to you for some work you can deal with it amongst those plan IIIwalas, who are also given the same permission to touch money.
(21)You will NOT discuss politics.
(22) You will NOT express anger to anyone by word or deed, whatever the provocation may be.
(23) You will NOT criticize anyone unfairly, either to his face or behind his back. Although you may at times feel anger in your mind, you must never express it by word or deed.
(24) You will tell no lies. Everything will be frank, clear and open. There will, for example, be no evasion of the truth if you are asked who you are, or who ‘Baba’ is.
(25) You will not accept homage from anyone, nor create circumstances that might invite homage to you. If however, without having invited it, homage is given to you, it must be repaid action for action to the giver. Should I place my hand on your feet or wash your feet etc., this will be an order and you should not consider it as homage.
(26) You must not create circumstances that might invite homage to me.
(27) Your inheritance, if any, should be given to me for the companions in Plan III.
(28) I desire NOT to accept anything except money for the companions in Plan III from the companions in Plan I B and C and Plan II.
(29) The New Life is endless and limitless and can be led in both Eastern and Western hemispheres. The New Life consists of four phases—labour, begging, gypsy life, and life in langoti. The companions of plan III will not go through the labour phase (which will be carried out by the companions in Plan I B and C and II). By labour is meant working for and earning one’s own livelihood. Plan IIIwalas therefore, will see to their maintenance either by begging, or on what is given to them by companions in Plan IB & C and plan II.
(30) As time factor has no concern with the New Life, begging, gypsy life and life in langoti can be done at any time, either individually or collectively, or not done at all, according to my instructions.
(31) You will beg only for your own food when ordered by me. This food must be such that it is (16) already cooked, or does not need to be cooked before eating.
(32) You will neither beg for, nor accept in Bhiksha, anything but your own food. Also you will not accept anything that is offered without your begging.
(33) You can accept tea and tobacco in any form only from the companions in the New Life.
(34) If unconsciously and without meaning to do so, you break any of these orders, or any other order, I will forgive you; and will not consider thoughts of lust, anger, greed etc., as mistakes.
It must be clearly understood that although every order listed here is absolutely binding on you, I am NOT only not bound by any order or condition but I am also absolutely free for all time to give any order to you, and that such orders might change or even nullify any or all of these orders and conditions.
One and only thing however in which I am not only not free, but deliberately bind myself, is regarding the condition to the effect that you must take it as an absolute certainty that you will NOT receive he slightest benefit of any kind whatsoever, and that you must be prepared for every kind of disappointment and adversity. This condition will stand for all time and will never be changed or nullified by me.
It must be in addition be absolutely clear that I will also never give any order that will absolve you of your individual responsibility before God for any con- sequences that may follow. Thus you must t a ke it as an absolute certainty that the responsibility before God for each and every consequence rests for all time wholly and solely with you and you alone and that I will never give an order that will change or nullify this responsibility. –Meher Baba